Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Kiss of Shadows

Anyone who is familiar with Laurelle K. Hamilton's work knows that she does not write the typical characters and plots of boy meets girl... It's more Vampire boy(man?) meets Necromancer girl. Well in her Anita Blake series anyway. Kiss of Shadows is the first of her newest series the "Merry Gentry" series.

Now, I had read her Anita Blake and loved it, and I am happy to say that her Merry Gentry series is just as good. I do admit that I was hesitant to read this series because I am such a fan of the Anita Blake, but it's just too good to resist.

In Kiss of Shadows we are introduced to a world of Humans and Fey(Fairies.) There are also a couple different kinds of Fey, Seelie and Unseelie. When reading I got the impression that the Seelie are considered the best kind of Fey. Unseelie are anyone that the Seelie will not have. Well, not anyone, Merry is considered Unseelie-in fact she is the Princess of the Unseelie Fey, but she is mortal which is looked down upon even in the Unseelie court. So not only do we have a Princess who is different from the rest of her family, but add that she is on the run and in hiding from her aunt that wants to kill her, and we've got ourselves a good story. Add in the quirkey friends, the handsome guards, and of course the evil family members and I'm hooked!
I did have some trouble following the whole Fey hierarchy of Seelie, UnSeelie, and sehid... I think I got the jist of it.

Hamilton continues to impress with her "new" series (I say "new" because it's a few years old-I'm just now getting to it). I'm very excited to read the next in the series.

Next up: I Hope They Serve Beer In Hell by Tucker Max.

-JB-

No comments: