Monday, March 21, 2011

The Goddess Test by Aimee Carter

I got this as an ARC from NetGalley

After years of chemotherapy and struggle, Kate is taking her mother back to her hometown to die. With the insistence of her mother, Kate attends school, counting down the seconds until she can be back with her mother. As a cruel prank, Ave, one of Kate's classmates invites Kate to a "party" in the woods. In the attempt to leave Kate there, something goes horribly wrong and Ava ends up dead. Henry, the mysterious property owner says he can bring Ava back to life-but at a price. Kate must live with him for 6 months out of the year. After agreeing, Kate soon finds her world surrounded with Greek mythological beings. She will be given 7 tests where if she passes she will become immortal, but if she fails she would go home with no memory of what happened. That is, if she isn't mysteriously killed like many girls before her.

From the first page I was hooked on this story. I found the character's to be entertaining, yet realistic. I felt the struggle Kate was going through as she tried to take care of her mother. Although I wished the author developed the character's a little more, I'd like to see more of James or Ava. I found myself constantly trying to guess what Kate's tests were. Although the story ended with everything tied in a nice little bow, I'm very excited to see what Carter's next story holds.

No comments: